Tuesday 19 February 2008

When I Am Gone


Our pastor gave a sermon last week on how to die as a Christian. Accompanying the sermon was a nicely laid out funeral guide in which a person could express exactly what he or she would like to have said and done during his/her funeral service. This got me to thinking. As unpleasant as a topic as death is, it is one of the great realities in this life. So how do I want others to think of me when I am gone? What do I hope is the measure of my life? I hope...that others will look past the many significant failures of my life to the great grace of God that I have received....that others can point to how God redeemed my failures and repackaged them for His Glory...that others will smile when they remember me....that more than one person can tell others how God actually used me to point them to the Cross....that my family and close friends look back and remember just how much I truly loved them.
It is up to me today, and from now on, to live in such a way that it will be very easy for others to recall all of the things that matter so much to me for them to recall.

8 comments:

Crystal's Elite Dance Studio said...

we're going to go on the family plan, that way none of us will have to live without one of us, I'm sure because I don't want to think about life without you or mom...

Anonymous said...

Neither do I, honey. Neither do I.
Dad

Britney said...

I already smile when I remember you. I often think back to the conversation we had as we were driving back from Christy and Kenney's reception. You spoke some very dear words of encouragement to me. Words that lifted a burden off my heart and calmed my racing thoughts about the future. They are words that still echo through my heart and mind.

I also remember with great fondness the hospitality you showed me the two times I've stayed in your home. It's rare that a guest feels so at ease in someone else's home, but when I'm with you and your family I feel like I belong. I can be completely myself without fear of rejection or awkwardness.

So have no doubts, I will certainly remember the grace and blessing that God has given me through knowing you.

Rachel said...

Okay, so it's porbably important to think about this stuff, but I don't want to!

And you guys are great hosts! You reall have made a difference in many lives, not just your family.

Anonymous said...

Britney,
You are such a sweet person that you make it very easy to be kind to you. When you visit, you are like part of our family. Please come again! We sure miss you!
Ken

Britney said...

I miss you guys too.

Melanie said...

I don't think that anyone who has been in your life could possibly doubt how much you love all of us! :)

Anonymous said...

Kenny,
even as i said yesterday,
you have been one of the best friends i have ever had. You have shown LOVE to me and mine, even in seasons that were difficult between us. When i look at your life, I see such HOPE, such LOVE, such amazing GRACE. Kenny, your life will be remembered by the extremity of your giving heart to all who have known you.I greatly admire you, respect you, and honor the wonderful man
of God that you are...
Thanks for all of the encouragement and the Godly example that you have been to me through the years!
SIDE NOTE:(I believe you will still be creating and doing huge productions in Heaven...all that phenomenal talent put to it's best use!) ~ Tia