Sunday 3 February 2008

Sacred Influence


I, like so many Americans, have been bombarded with the onslaught and rush of the primary campaigns, debates, pundits, media biases, etc. that accompany every Presidential election year. Being the "good citizen" that I thought I was, I jumped into the race myself, carefully reading candidates' websites, sifting through several online articles, and weeding through the media coverage of the candidates vying for the White House. I began to form opinions about who would be "fortunate" enough to receive my vote. I even courageously engaged in a lengthy discussion with my daughter and son-in-law about this topic while we returned from going to a family event yesterday. I was very impressed and grateful that the four of us (Christy, Kenney, Janice, and I) could engage in honest dialogue about politics, which is often a recipe for familial disaster. Even though the four of us have varying outlooks politically, one point that my wife made was that this election was one in which we have to make a absolute stand at the polls in terms of our faith in Christ. Especially with the Presidency. As I pondered that today, I thought of a book written by Gary Thomas called SACRED INFLUENCE in which the author discusses the impact a godly wife can have on her husband. It hit me that each Christian can have an equally sacred influence on this generation and generations to come at the poll by voting for a candidate who will pursue righteousness for our nation. No, I am NOT a Huckabee Committee Chair or even a volunteer, nor am I even convinced that he is worthy of my vote. What I AM convinced of is the fact that we as believers in Jesus Christ MUST seek God as to who He would have us support. Our faith MUST have a sacred influence on our lives in every aspect, including politics. If not, what good is our faith?

1 comment:

laurahill said...

and just WHO are we gonna vote for??
where is the integrity? track record for good decisions based on facts, not feelings?
it's a mess out there, and we need Godly wisdom to work through all of this.
good that you were able to discuss this with your kids. actually,
that is amazing.
~ laura