Sunday 27 January 2008

God-Smacked!

I have recently been awe-struck, or "God-smacked", at the wisdom that I see reflected in our grown daughters as they walk out their responsibilities as godly mothers and wives. They both have very active preschool boys and newborn daughters to raise, houses to clean, attitudes to juggle, families to cook for, husbands to please, and their God to follow. I sit in genuine amazement often as I watch how they are handling all of these roles and wonder, "Where did they learn to handle all of this with the grace that I see???", as I can honestly look back and realize that unfortunately, it did not get passed down from me. They both are light years ahead of where I was at their age. Or even ten years older than they are now. Their mother did a fantastic job setting an example of a godly mother for them growing up, but even she is equally amazed at the fruit in our daughters. So what IS the source of their capabilities and wisdom? And naturally, the only appropriate and genuine response is found in the book of James, chapter 1, verse 17 :"Every good gift and every perfect gift comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." God's goodness smacks me in the face when I consider His amazing goodness to us, to our children and their husbands, and to our grandchildren. I never thought that being smacked could be such a wonderful thing!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you, Dad. :) But we obviously learned what we know from good examples and a lot of help from the Lord!

Anonymous said...

yeah,
Rachel and Christie are amazing young ladies, for sure!
SENSIBLE, Kind-hearted,
Funny, Smart, Gifted, Talented,Creative,BEAUTIFUL ...
HEY, the best part is that the both genuinely understand just where it all comes from.
You should be very proud of them ~
I sure am!
~ Aunt laura