Wednesday 10 September 2008

Out With the Old....


I want to brag some more about my new school- Sanderson High School.

Last night we had an Open House. I was amazed at the number of parents who came and was even more amazed at how invested these parents are in their children's lives! Our school has a very dedicated school community that celebrates, encourages, supports, shows up for, funds, and inspires their students.

Where does this comraderie originate? I have a feeling that it comes from the top. By the top, I am naturally referring to the leadership in our school. The principal at my new school is a true leader. She is not afraid to make tough decisions, but does so equitably. She is not afraid to confront, but does so approrpiately. She is willing to help, to listen, to guide. Every parent I have spoken to about her speaks her name with respect and kindness. So does the faculty, a RARITY in high schools, believe me. So I get to teach in a learning environment that not only fosters and allows learning, but requires learning. There is no question in the students' minds as to what they need to be about at school. I find myself inspired to reach newer heights of teaching excellence there.
I want to be part of the spirit of excellence that pervades my school.

Happy New Year to me!


2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful environment! Congrats on being happy in your new job!

Britney said...

How wonderful for you!! My school was like this when I started teaching. Last year we got a new principal, and let me tell you things have changed. I still like working at my school, but I don't think I'll be working there forever.